There is no doubt that when used right, dedicated proxies can be a source of advantages to businesses and individuals. With that in mind, a more valid question would be what scenarios are dedicated proxies suitable.
Just like every tool, dedicated proxies have their advantages and disadvantages. Therefore, rather than treating these proxies as an all-encompassing solution to privacy, security, or restriction issues, businesses should categorize their needs first.
Read on to learn what dedicated proxies are, the features that grant them uniqueness from other proxies, and potential use cases that suit their features.
What are Dedicated Proxies?
A dedicated proxy is a single proxy address assigned to a user by a proxy provider for an agreed period. They are also called private proxies. The major advantage of such proxies over residential or datacenter proxies is their ‘dedicatedness.’ Connections made from a dedicated proxy give an air of permanence when used to communicate internationally.
Features of Dedicated Proxies
Like all types of proxies, dedicated proxies have certain features that help them stand out. Here are some of these features:
- A semi-permanent location. Other proxies (residential or datacenter proxies) allow users to choose from an extensive pool of IP addresses. However, users share those IP addresses among themselves randomly. As such, it is not very likely that a user can connect using the same proxy server twice in a row. A task that involves user authentication on a strict platform would appreciate the semi-permanence of dedicated proxies instead of the randomness of other proxy types on offer.
- Good for filtering and blocking content.
- Relative costliness. In a service characterized by indiscriminate sharing, there has to be a premium on private services. So, it is no surprise that dedicated proxies are more expensive than others. They are private proxies for a reason.
- Great for monitoring activity. Whether on social media, an e-commerce marketplace, etc., dedicated proxies bestow a unique advantage when monitoring activity. Users of such proxies can monitor whatever they wish without changing their pretend location and potentially altering the data they are getting. A network of dedicated proxies covering the data of importance can then give a more accurate account of events and progress. For instance, social media platforms are notorious for altering engagements on posts to suit locations. Using two different IP addresses in the same country can theoretically show different perceptions of the same events.
How can Dedicated Proxies Benefit Businesses?
Web proxies have several advantages when used by businesses. Here are some advantages:
- It improves their access to geo-restricted content. Research is at the forefront of international business success. At the end of the day, all people see is a stock market price or an excellent bottom line. However, a lot of research goes into helping companies make the right decisions to succeed in their industries. Importantly, there is no research without data. It is for this reason that companies make the obtaining of such data a priority. Web proxies are one of the tools that aid the collection of said regional data.
- It facilitates anonymity and privacy of business activities. The dedicated proxies can also ensure that the activities of the companies stay anonymous and hidden from the outside world.
- Moving on from data collection and research, dedicated proxies also help companies improve the security of data transfers and online resources. This is particularly important for remote workers, who access company resources online.
- Online businesses that experience lots of web traffic can also use web proxies to reduce the load on their servers and improve their network speeds. This is achievable by having the proxies distribute the incoming traffic among multiple servers.
- Businesses with a population of remote or hybrid workers are also capable of using dedicated proxies to monitor and log the online activities of workers. Such a tactic becomes even more important for freelancers on hourly pay, who might be inflating the time to complete a project.
- A business can use the services of a web proxy to check out the functionality and instructiveness of their website, blog, or online store from different locations. Employing proxies this way could give companies first-hand knowledge of how their user interface translates before launching the service or product site.
Dedicated proxies have their use cases where they thrive as business solutions. However, it is still important for businesses to recognize that they possess limitations, just as they do benefits. As such, rather than abusing the proxy and impairing the ability of the business to utilize it for a long time, it is imperative that companies combine tools that complement them to ensure continuous top-level function.